Why I ended up making my own mattress
Published by Beto Dealmeida on
Turns out it's not trivial to get a mattress that is both organic and vegan. I hade to make my own.
I wanted a new mattress that met two conditions:
- Used organic materials; and
- Was vegan.
Turns out this is not trivial, at least in the US. In the US mattresses are required to have a fire-retardant material, that is either not-organic or wool (wool is not vegan). My partner called a company and asked if they could make us a mattress without wool and they told her they would require a doctor's note (!) for that.
We ended up building our own mattress. We bought a base made of coconut fiber, and 3 mattress toppers of increasing densities made of pure organic latex. Each mattress topper was 3" tall, for a total height of ~9", which is the typical height for a mattress.
- Photo showing the a coconut fiber layer used as the base of the mattress.
- Photo showing the bottom latex topping, of high density.
- Photo showing the stacked toppings, with a low density one on top.
- Photo showing the middle latex topping, of medium density.